Nevis Ensemble is committed to encouraging and promoting environmentally sustainable practice in all of its activities. As the world faces the very real and serious threat of climate breakdown, we believe we have a responsibility to contribute to and work towards a more sustainable future in Scotland and the cultural sector as a whole.
Nevis Ensemble was established in 2017 with the aim of bringing music to everyone, everywhere. Since our first tour in 2018, we have continued to reflect on our environmental impact, finding ways we can further develop our practice as a sustainable organisation. We have worked to reduce our waste and carbon emissions through better waste and recycling practices, efficiently planned tour routes and increased musician engagement. As of May 2020, we have started calculating and reporting on our carbon emissions. Through this, we hope to better understand and monitor our carbon footprint and therefore strategically plan for ways we can reduce emissions in the future.
More details of our environmental mission can be found in our Policy for Sustainability here.
- In early 2019 we implemented a Policy for Sustainability.
- In 2019 we identified a member of the orchestra as our ‘Green Officer’, tasked with the responsibility of overseeing sustainable practice on tour and promoting sustainability to musicians.
- In 2019, we banned the use of disposable coffee cups by musicians on tour.
- In 2019, we collaborated with local organisations to provide all our musicians with reusable bags, water bottles, and keep-cups.
- In 2020, we appointed a Sustainability Manager to further develop and monitor our practice, ensuring sustainability is at the core of our mission, from the practicalities of touring to the development of artistic planning.
Nevis Ensemble is an active member of Creative Carbon Scotland’s Green Arts Initiative. More information about CCS and the Green Arts Initiative can be found here, along with some other useful links.
If you would like more information or would like to speak to us about our environmental mission, then please get in touch with our Sustainability Manager Georgina at email@example.com.