Nevis Ensemble is committed to encouraging and promoting equality, diversity and inclusion as fundamentally underpinning of all our activity, our governance and the way in which we engage with audiences, staff and musicians. We aim to be representative of all sections of society, and for each musician and staff member to feel respected and able to give their best to the organisation.
We want to go beyond ‘inclusion’ and think more about truly ’embracing’ those from all backgrounds not only in terms of the Trustees, staff and musicians who we work with, but also the audiences and participants who we reach, and the music and activity that we programme and commission.
You can read our Policy for the Promotion of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, which is updated on an annual basis by our Board of Trustees here.
Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion has a broad scope, and whilst we always aim for best practice, we recognise that improvements can and will have to be made as we continue to learn and develop, and seek to promote and embrace a society in which access to the arts is open to all.
Nevis Ensemble was established in 2017 with the aim of making music for everyone, everywhere. Since our first tour in 2018, we have reflected on our work on an ongoing basis, and some recent steps we have taken, include:
- Board of Trustees asked to attend Equalities training on an annual basis.
- All musicians offered Anti-Racism training from Glasgow Life.
- A board EDI Audit of all Trustees, staff and musicians undertaken with resulting Action Plan in progress
- Signed pledges that invite tangible change including:
- Working Group on Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion established to bring together Trustees and musicians on a quarterly basis.
- Engaging with external partners to develop strategies to counteract the underrepresentation of musicians who identify as being disabled or having a disability both within our own organisation and across the sector.
If you would like to know more or have any questions, please do get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org